Last spring was my last semester living on campus or in a dorm. Part of me still misses having my friends living around me or being able to conveniently walk around campus, but I wouldn’t go back (not that I even could). This leads to my next highlight: moving into my first apartment. That was an experience filled with its own highs and lows, but I did enjoy it overall. Also, it was also lovely to have cable television again…rabbit ears just aren’t the same :)
After living at that apartment for just one semester, we opted to move out and into a new apartment. I enjoy having my own room again…well worth the extra money! The first apartment was good, but this new one is so much nicer (minus the smokers that surround us). The downside to all of this was moving my stuff in, out and around too many times…
One of my favorite highlights was getting to fly up to Washington (my first solo trip!) and visit Caitlin and other friends from school. One weekend was just too short and I am hoping to make it up there again soon! It was fun to hang out in Seattle for an afternoon, hit the high points, and then drive up to Bellingham for the rest of the weekend.
I graduated from Biola in December…I just haven’t walked yet! It’s crazy that I actually made it through in 3 ½ years and am a college graduate. I still don’t really think of myself as a grad student, not unless someone asks me how my classes are going. That’s usually when I remember that I only have one! I actually don’t remember how I used to always be doing homework (literally always) and never have any free time. My current situation is about as opposite from that as possible…and I’m not complaining…
Last spring and this spring I have been fortunate enough to work in a church nursery on Wednesday mornings. I love spending those few hours a week with preschoolers...they are fun and hilarious...they really do say the funniest things! One little boy draws me a picture almost every week. As I was leaving this last week he ran after me and said I could not leave until I he gave me a hug :) (ok, so that doesn’t fall into the category of last year, but it was related…)
Last fall I was able to take Jesus’ Life and Ministry, which was a lot of work, but I learned so much. Reflecting on my experience, I think that it was probably my favorite class in my whole time at Biola. The things we learned were, in some ways, things I already knew: events of Jesus’ life and ministry. I think my favorite part was Dr. Lunde’s focus on how this information should not just be head knowledge, but literally transforming our lives. It challenged me, that’s for sure!
Another of my favorite highlights was my decision to sponsor four children through Compassion International. For many years my heart has gone out to those living in extreme poverty (as these children and too many others are), but I always felt like there was nothing I could do about it. The more I thought about that, the Lord laid sponsorship on my heart. It took me a while to realize the obvious: changing even one life, allowing even one child to be released from poverty, was something that I could actually do.
In October, I met some of my 2nd cousins Gabrielle, Ben, and Samantha for the first time, as well as see my cousin again (they all live in France). They were so cute, fun to play with, and we got along right from the start. I taught the two oldest how to play Monopoly…and then we played…twice...That’s a long, tiring game to play twice in one night! Samantha, the youngest, was so cute and wanted to do the same thing the rest of us were doing. She would follow me around the house and I let her be the spinner for Twister…very entertaining :)
Last fall I was also able to take Beginning Bowling as one of my PE classes. It was fun, hilarious at times, and I actually learned to be a decent bowler…I think my high score of the semester was 160 (or right around that…it’s been a few months :) ). The worst thing is that I usually start out awesome, but by the end of the second or third game I look like I’ve never bowled before. I got a Turkey, too (3 strikes in a row)! Well, I actually got two, but the first was during warm up one day before class actually started, so it didn’t count for anything…too bad! The second one, though, was awesome! I got it in the last frame of the last game on the last class of the semester…it wasn’t enough to win, but it was definitely a personal victory and the best way to end the semester!
So many things have happened over this last year, so many changes have taken place. As I look forward into this next year all I see are even more significant events. Sometimes it scares me, sometimes I’m excited, and sometimes I just don’t know what to think! It’s easy to say that I’m thankful for everything that has taken place, but I truly am because every challenge and circumstance has brought me to where I am today. I’m excited for what’s to come...
No comments:
Post a Comment