You may have noticed, at some time or another, that the number 40, particularly when referring to the passage of time, is significant throughout the Bible.
While I am not claiming this to be anywhere near as significant, I thought it was worthy of noting. Today is Day 40 in my "Bible Reading Plan." At the beginning of the year, I made a plan to read through the Bible in 2010. I'm happy to report that I am right on track. Each day I read between 2-4 chapters, usually from both the Old and New Testaments. I've made it as far as Leviticus in the Old Testament. Probably not the most stimulating reading, but I am committed to staying the course and following through.
I should mention that this achievement of mine is particularly important because I have tried to do something like this many times before. I usually lasted a week, maybe two, before falling so far behind I eventually just quit. Not so this time.
My advice to anyone that is doing something similar: don't give up! You may fall one, two, or even five days behind. Keep reading. Commit to reading an extra chapter or two each day until you get caught up. I've seen recommendations of continuing on the current day and going back to what you've missed. But to me, that doesn't really make sense. I don't usually pick up a novel and start on Chapter 10, then decide to go back a read the beginning. No, I start at the beginning in order to really understand the story.
My hope is, 40 days from now, that I'll be able to give you the same report. 40 days and going strong :)
wow whit congrats!!! this is encouraging! everytime i try to do this i always always fall behind and then quit. keep up the good work!! you should be proud!! 40 days :-)
ReplyDelete