My life is static.
I spend my days doing the same things, over and over again. Nothing really changes.
The problem is not so much that I have nothing to do. I keep myself busy enough, some days more than others. However, I feel like I could or should be doing so much more with my life.
So there lies the real problem. I think my life is static because I don't know which direction to begin moving.
Realistically, I won't be finding a full-time position, at least not in teaching, come fall. I'm sure I could get a job doing something else, but I feel like that is giving up on teaching without ever really getting a chance to begin.
So, do I go back to school? Get my M.A.? Do something else entirely? Is it a waste of time to get a Masters in Teaching if I can't find a teaching job? There are a number of options to consider...or rather, three:
The first is go back to/continue at Biola. A Masters is 30 units, and I have already completed 12 of those in my student teaching. I can complete 9 units on campus, and then an additional 9 units online. So, it would really only require me to be back down there for a semester full-time. But, do I want to move back down? I could commute one day a week, but that would draw the 2 semester completion time out to more like 4.
The second option is to complete another program that is online. The one I think I would consider most is the MAT program at USC. I've looked at it a little bit, but I don't know much about it. The upside of this is that I could stay home and complete it. The downside is the fact that the 12 units of student teaching I've completed will count for nothing (at least to my current understanding).
The third option is to complete a local program, such as Cal State (definitely not my first choice), or an extension program through a school like Fresno Pacific or Point Loma. I'm actually not positive of all of the local programs, but I'm still pretty sure that those 12 units would not transfer.
Those, of course, are just the options to pursue my Masters. If I do continue teaching, I'll eventually get my Masters. So why not now? I have also considered going to school for an alternate career path. What would that be? I have no idea. Business/Accounting? Single-subject credential? Something else?
That's what is going on in my head. The more time that passes, the more I feel the need to do something. I do know that whatever I choose, I need my life to be dynamic. Moving forward. Accomplishing something.
Prayers would be appreciated.
Don't give up on teaching!!!! :-( It's just a rough time right now but I think you should look into completing your Masters and keep your mind fresh ;-)
ReplyDeletePatty,
ReplyDeleteOf course my first choice is not to give up on teaching. I know that things will eventually smooth out and schools will begin hiring again. The question is how many years will that take? And will my preliminary credential expire in the meantime? My goal right now (I think) is to figure out something in pursuing my Masters. But unfortunately, until I am hired to teach, other options will always have to stay in the back of my mind. But, I completely agree with you. Thanks for the encouragement :)