Saturday, February 26, 2011

one really long day.

I received a call Thursday night to sub in a junior high History class on Friday.  I wasn't terribly excited about it, but the call came at 9:56 pm (10pm is the end of the calling time), so I figured time was running out to accept. 

Let me back up and say that I had received a call a couple of hours earlier, but my phone was acting crazy.  I was able to answer the phone, but when it came time to put in my password to hear the job, my phone wouldn't let me press the buttons.  Awesome.  I ended up having to end the call and reboot the phone.  Got another call a few minutes later, still acting weird, but I was able to press and hold the numbers and it finally went through.  Of course, the call was for March 22, but it was a job nonetheless.  I rebooted it again and everything seemed fine. 

Ok, back to the story.  I walked into the school office a couple minutes before 8am, which was my call time.  Of course, the teacher I was subbing for had morning duty starting at 8.  Awesome.  So I rushed to the classroom, but my stuff down, and went outside to stand in the cold to watch junior highers stand around.  Queue boring day.  It was an 8th grade U.S. History class, in which I had to do the same thing over for 6 periods.  I figured as much when I took the job.  The part I was not a fan of was that they were given a 4 page handout to read and answer 25 questions from.  There were TAs in all the periods, so they sat at the teacher's desk in the back, which meant I had to sit in the front on a stool behind the podium.  For about 6 hours.  While I just sat there doing nothing.  It was probably one of the longest, most boring days of my life. 

I would have gladly made $10 less that day and subbed in the pre-K that morning.  I received a call from them trying to fill an immediate position.  Sorry, I'm having a boring day in junior high...

(Don't get me wrong, I was thankful that I had a job at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment