Wednesday, September 28, 2011

as of now.

To anyone who is keeping up with these things, I have a few more details about my job.  As in the fact I started yesterday morning.  My first day as a real teacher!  It was totally surreal...and since I was just observing the other 5th grade teachers, I felt like I was back in school doing observations for a class.  But then reality set in a bit more today when I attended a grade level meeting, was given a class list, was told my room would be ready by Friday, and I would begin teaching Monday.  This is a bit accelerated from the original timeline I was given, but it will probably be nicer to begin on Monday versus midweek.  I'm busy trying to pull all the loose ends together, figure out how I'm going to run things, and my discipline/reward system.  Oh, and planning a few lessons, too!
Things I still have no idea about:
-When I'll actually get in my room (as in morning or end of the day on Friday).  Either way, I envision my spending my weekend in that classroom trying to get things organized and ready to go. 
-What kind of supplies/materials I'll have in the classroom.  I know the kids will have desks and books.  I inventoried my teacher books, too.  That's pretty much all I know I have for sure :)
-What my schedule will look like.  They are having to fit in times for my class to do things like library, computer lab, science lab, and PE.  Makes things a little more interesting!

What I do know:
-I have 23 kids in my class.
-I start teaching Monday.
-I have a job.

Oh, what an adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Whitney,

    I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! 23 kids is the perfect amount. I hope they are all sweet and easy for you. I know you'll be an awesome teacher.

    Love,
    Stef

    ReplyDelete