Monday, September 26, 2011

a crazy thing happened.

If you've read this blog at all,
Or, If you've asked what I'm doing sometime in the last year,
Or, If you know me at all,
Then you probably know I've been looking for a teaching job. The process has been much harder than I could ever imagine. I've faced multiple interviews, multiple rejections, and run the whole gamut of emotions. I had to believe that through this whole period of waiting, struggling, and testing of faith, trust, and patience, that God had something good in store for me. What's hard to know along the journey is that my definition of "good" might not look to me the same as the good God has planned for my life. Of course, that's where trust comes in and plenty of prayers for direction.

I can't even begin to count the number of prayers over the last year and a half (even more so over the last six months) that have been primarily focused on what God was doing in my life. As much as I hated the process, I am certain that God has taught me much about relying on Him to provide, and trusting that He would do so! It's been a time of learning and growth, and I guess I wouldn't change that part of it.

With each interview I could feel my perspective changing. Some of it was probably done out of self-preservation, not wanting to get hurt again. The first interview I had, everything seemed so perfect and to fall right into place. I beat the odds and got an interview, so I really felt like "this might be it." It obviously wasn't, because the "no" soon followed. That was the beginning of May. It wasn't until mid-July that I had another interview. Again, the circumstances that led me to the job all seemed so perfect, I again couldn't help but wonder if that was the place God was leading me. After an excruciatingly long wait (about 3.5 weeks) I finally received word that it was another "no." I didn't have much time to be disappointed about it though, because just days after I had another interview scheduled. the application was done on somewhat of a whim, feeling like I really didn't have a chance. But, after receiving a call that I had again beat the odds and had an interview, I again couldn't help but think that God was working behind he scenes for this job. And, while He was definitely working, it wasn't in the way of getting another job.

Before I knew it, school was started and subbing began. I had resigned myself to subbing, figuring that that was where God had led. It wasn't what I had wanted to do, but was willing if that's where He wanted me. I made plans, volunteered for things, and basically arranged my life and commitments based on that schedule. Fast forward to the end of the week two weeks ago, when a friend called me to say I needed to get my application in to a certain district since they were hiring about 20 or more new teachers. I updated my resume and submitted it again (I'd already applied in May), and Monday I got the call for an interview.

Like I said, though, I already had my life for the time being scheduled out, so part of me resented the timing of it all. The rest of me vacillated between being "cautiously optimistic"in order to protect myself, and slightly afraid of the school I could potentially be hired at. (This was a different situation than my other interviews because they had so many positions and a ton of schools, I didn't really know what I could be given.)  I wasn't really nervous this time around, for whatever reason.  It wasn't so much that I doubted God.  I trusted fully that He could give me a job.  What I didn't fully believe, though, was that He actually would.  At least not this time.  And I think there's a distinct difference there. 

Sometime in between scheduling thy interview and Wednesday, when the interview took place, God really worked on my heart. It was a moment of surrendering the situation to Him, knowing that He would place me where I could best be used by Him. If that meant being placed in tough school set in a rough neighborhood, I was willing to do it.

About 2:00 that afternoon, just over 5 hours after the interview, I got a call back.  A crazy thing happened and they actually offered me a job.  Not just any job, though, but a job at a school that everyone says is wonderful.  It was a surreal moment in my life, when I called her back to say yes (I asked for a few minutes to think, call my mom, and digest the news).  This was the very moment when countless prayers were answered.

Since that moment, lots of things have fallen into place.  Had my livescan fingerprints done on Thursday (for the 3rd time, I might add).  I did lots of paperwork (about 2 hours worth) on Friday night.  And today I went to the district office for orientation where I got my ID badge, signed my contract, and made everything official.  Tomorrow's the day I report to the school site.  Bright and early at 7:30am.  I still don't have much information, other than the fact that it's 5th grade and I don't actually start teaching until next week sometime.  I'm beyond words excited to get there and get the 900 questions in my head (and from everybody else) answered. 

What a journey this has been.  I feel like it's the end of a chapter in my life and the start of a much more exciting one. 

Oh, and please pray for me when you think about it!  I know I'm going to need it...

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Whitney! So proud of you...praise be to God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Whit!! This is such an encouragement!! Thanks for sharing!! Praise God!! Praying for you!

    P.S. what grade is it?

    ReplyDelete