Thursday, December 6, 2012

give thanks, week three.

Today I want to highlight a new organization that I have become involved in, Love Mercy Uganda.  Starting just a couple of months ago, this is the result of the hard work of one small church in Maryland and one woman in particular.  She has setup this child sponsorship program to partner with the Good Samaritan Children's Home in Uganda.  The children are all orphans who were found living in abject poverty or dire conditions.  You can go to the website (linked above) and read some of the bios of the children.  They are all currently being sponsored, but there are opportunites to help and give in other ways.  As this sponsorship program is just beginning, there are still many needs to meet.  One of those is medical bills.  Some of the children are HIV+ or have low immune systems and easily catch diseases like malaria.  Recently treated mosquito nets were purchased, which will hopefully cut down on the number of instances of malaria.  As you might imagine, though, the cost of medical care can be very costly when there are nearly 75 children to care for in the home.

I chose to sponsor three children through this program and today I received my first letters from them.


First, meet Baker.  She is about 5 years old.  (I say about as most of these children do not know their birthdays and dates were picked based on how old they looked, siblings, etc.)  She is an orphan whose parents died from AIDS.

Portions of her letter read:

Dear Mum Whitney,
This is a happy moment to write to you this letter because of my becoming your sponsor child. Back to me I am very okay!! But how are you generally and America at large...
I thank you for our nets you people bought for us.
Mum, a question, will you be coming to visit me soon in Uganda? If so, second to the day I got a sponsor in the names mum Whitney in  America.
Mum, I like jokes, I like playing with friends, am a singer at school.  I like reading books and learning the Bible.  In future I am to be a teacher, my prayer request is wisdom.
Looking to hear from you soon.  Yours, Baker

Such a sweet, endearing child.  While she obviously had help writing, she seems wise beyond her years. 



Next is Emily.  She is 8 years old.  She was found living with her grandmother who could not care for her or provide basic necessities like food and clothes.  She often has a cold.  The staff describe her as humble and obedient.  She sounds like a dear girl that I would love to meet one day.

Portions of her letter read:

Dear My Sweet dream sponor Whitney,
I am glad to write to you and I am very happy to have this time to converse with you through letter.
Let me take this opportunity to greet you in Jesus' name.  How are you and how is your life?
How is your country America?  How is your climate and your family members?
I thank you for the medical care which include clean water, medicine, shelter, food, mosquito net, as well as sponsorship.
I am in primary two. I am 8 years old.  I like playing net ball and rope jumping.
I would like to request you kindly to visit me at our home.  I like smiling do you like smiling too? If yes it is good to me because if we meet we shall chat together.
My friend is called Happy.  She likes playing with me.
I pray God to become a doctor in future and I treat sick people.
From Your Daughter Emily
My Sweet Dream Sponsor Whitney.  I wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Probably one of the sweetest letters I have received.  I love that she referred to me as "my sweet dream sponsor."  That sounds exactly like an 8 year old.



And this is Christine.  She is about 6 years old.  She is the oldest of 5 children that are at the home (my mom sponsors one of her younger sisters).  They were abandoned by unstable and violent parents and would be left alone for days, where Christine would go out on the streets begging for coins to feed her brothers and sisters.  Understandably, she mothers her siblings.  Such as huge burden for a child so young...it breaks my heart!

Portrions from her letter read:

Dear Whitney,
How is you? Hope you are fine. Whitney my dear beloved sponsor I would like to thank you for choosing me among all the children in the home and accepting to know who Christine is.
My best friend is Scovia.  My best color is blue because when I look up in the sky the blue makes me get amazed.
I would like to thank you for the support that you have given to me and the entire home.  I know you have good plans and you are every praying for such that God can give me wisdom and knowledge and I look after my two sisters and two brothers that I have.
Thanks for every support in feed, education, clothing and others.
Really you mean a lot to me and the entire home.
May God bless you abundantly and bless the works of your hands.
Let me tell you the meaning of my second name Kirabo.  It means a gift.  God has gifted me by giving me a good caring, loving sponsor.
Please if you happen to write to me tell me your favorite color, food, and game.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Yours, Christine


Today I am thankful for all of these sweet and precious girls and the letters I have received from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment