Let me begin by saying this was the best week to begin my new job! That may or may not have something to do with getting two paid holiday days. But that's a bit besides the point....
Monday morning started bright and early, getting up and out the door by 7:30. I must admit that having to get up for VBS last week helped train me in getting up early. I never meant to become lazy, but when you spend a year of your life not having to get up early, you don't tend to get up early. So, I arrive at work a few minutes before 8:00 and am greeted by a lot of names and faces to learn. I spent the day arranging my new office and trying to get computer login and email working. All of that plus a lot of random tasks made the day go by fairly quickly. I did spend some standing around and waiting, but overall a good day. All of the guys are very nice to me and seem to appreciate me being there. They've been without an Office Admin for about a month or so, so I know they are looking forward to things normalizing in the future. My boss asked me if I minded coming in at 7:00 instead of 8 since they are farmers and are there as the sun is rising. It might just be a seasonal thing, but I'm not holding my breath on that one yet. I also started my training in understanding the onion research side of things and the whole process and the codes I need to learn. It was a lot for my first day!
Tuesday dawned even earlier, but another good day. I spent much of my day alternating between filling out employment paperwork and getting my email setup and working, filling out information to receive a company credit card, and working out a time to travel north to train at another office since there is no administrative assistant to train me here. The end of the day was more time spent on learning the label program, printing labels, and other onion research information. It might sound a bit strange and all, but I find the work they are doing very interesting. I guess that's a good thing!Wednesday was much like the other two days, complete with watching a very dull driver safety video (just like Driver's Ed) so I can be cleared to drive a company car.
All in all, a good first week! I know some of it sounds a bit cryptic, but I don't want to reveal too much specific information here. I'd be happy to tell you all about it in person though! Thanks to those who have been praying, this week and all along! It has been a great experience so far and I'm looking forward to learning more and settling in.
Hope you all had a great 4th of July! We didn't do a whole lot around here. Gramma came over for dinner and I spent much of my day on homework. The evening was homemade ice cream and keeping the lunatic dog under control from the fireworks. Then we watched fireworks from the window in the air conditioning. Best way to go on a hot day! Today was more homework. That's pretty much all I did. On the plus side, I've finished two of the three classes I was taking. Tonight at midnight (Eastern time) was the end of the term. Thankfully one of my professors extended the deadlines for his class until Sunday night. So, just one paper left standing between me and my freedom. There will be victory tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment