Thursday, May 21, 2009

unmistakable.

I’ll be honest. I have a hard time trusting God.

I used to think about Exodus, about how God led the Israelites out of Egypt and into the wilderness on their way to the Promised Land, and how easy it would have been to follow God in those circumstances. I mean, there He was visibly leading them in the form of a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. It was unmistakable.

The Israelites watched as God parted the Red Sea for them to walk through on dry land, with walls of water on both sides of them. Even more than that, once the Israelites had all passed through, God let the water flow back to cover the Egyptians pursuing them. What a powerful image of God’s provision. It was unmistakable.

As the Israelites entered the wilderness, they began to complain about their lack of food. One month had passed since the time they had left Egypt. Already they seemed to forget about God’s immense provision for them. In response to them, God sent manna and quail to them every day, fulfilling their needs. He instructed them to gather only what they needed for the day. Those that did not trust His provision gathered extra, just in case. However, they woke the next day only to realize that it was rotting and full of maggots. And the ground was still covered with an abundance of food. So, on it went. It was unmistakable.

The Israelites again complained, this time for water. They told essentially told Moses it would have been better to stay in Egypt than to die of thirst in the desert. So, the Lord instructs Moses to strike a rock with his staff. When he did so, water flowed out of it for the people to drink. It was unmistakable.

Here’s the part that gets me: ‘And [Moses] called the place Massah and Meribah because the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the Lord saying, “Is the Lord among us or not?”’ (Ex. 17:7)
Is the Lord among you? Are you kidding? Look what he has done! His provision for you is unmistakable!

But, the more I think about it, I do exactly the same thing. For a time, God’s leading is practically visible. All the things I do seem to fall right into place. That I am following God’s will is unmistakable. As soon as I enter the edge of the wilderness, however, I immediately begin to doubt. I quickly forget all of God’s provisions and leading and wonder why He could have possibly led me to this place. I complain to God, asking why he could have abandoned me here. I ask “Is the Lord among us or not?” Despite all He has already done, I continue to forget.

I wonder when I’ll remember how God has led me, how his provision is unmistakable.

No comments:

Post a Comment