Wednesday, July 14, 2010

down and back up.

Since my last post a couple of weeks ago, so much has happened.  The first is this: Papa continued to decline, to the point where we really didn't think he was going to make it.  He was completely unresponsive some days, couldn't swallow, couldn't walk, barely speak, couldn't stand, sit up, etc.  My parents and I went down on Sunday the 4th to celebrate the day, as well as to visit everyone.  It was basically decided that another attempt would be made to get Papa into UCLA to see the hydrocephalus specialists there.  Nothing much changed between Sunday and Monday, so my aunt and uncle decided they would take him down to UCLA and try to get him admitted through emergency while he was somewhat stable.  Through a series of ups and downs (I'll spare you all of the details), he was finally admitted to the neurology floor and they decided to do a complete work up on him.  Once the test begins, it's a 72 hour wait for results.  Fast forward to this last Sunday, the 11th.  My parents and I, along with my sister and great aunt and great uncle (Papa's sister and brother-in-law) headed down to UCLA to visit.  We left around 4 since nothing much was happening.  About 4:45, the neurology intern came in and said they were going to start the test, which consists of them removing spinal fluid and observing him.  He had some complications, however, and said the test would be done on Monday instead.  As of yesterday, Papa was showing distinct changes in his behavior.  Before he could speak to you, but couldn't really carry on a conversation, couldn't remember where he was, etc.  Yesterday he was conversing, knew where UCLA was, remembered his nurses and their names, was up walking around (with some help, of course).  The nurse that was there, who had also been there last Friday, didn't realize he was the same patient until she saw my aunt and grandma come in the room.  Because of these and other remarkable changes, it does look like surgery will be a possibility for him to relieve his symptoms.  He has been cleared for surgery from a cardiac standpoint, so hopefully by tomorrow we should know more about the next steps.  Please continue to pray!

Onto other topics, my days have recently consisted of me working 8+ hour days from home.  I love the from home aspect because I can work in my pajamas, pick my own hours (although I always start later than I should and end up working until late hours), and watch Friends while I'm working.  Because June was the end of the quarter, I'm under a big push to get things finished up.  I have until Monday to get it all done...

One of the funniest things that has happened:  My mom decided sometime last week that she was going to shave Molly (our Westie) into more of a "Westie" cut.  Last time she went to the groomer they cut her short all over.  About 10 minutes later and one wiggly dog later, Molly's back had a series of hacks in the fur, resulting in her looking like she has some strange disease or something.  Her fur was short enough in some places to show her skin, so we've been having to put sunscreen on her back so she won't burn.  My poor mom has gotten more grief about her "grooming," but it was hilarious.  Molly is just cute, though, so even with a "hacky backy", as we so lovingly refer to it, she is still adorable. 

My life also consists of picking up other people's mail.  We are having my grandparents' mail held a week at a time, so every Friday I get to make the trek across town (about 1 hour round trip) to pick up the mail, water plants, etc.  I've also been asked by some family friends to pick up their mail (house and a P.O. box) while they are vacationing for the summer.  Between all of those trips every week, I feel like I'm constantly checking someone's mail.  (I really don't mind, though)

In the last few weeks, huge strides have been made in this household.  Lucy, our adorable, but standoffish, cat has become my stalker.  Since I'm home during the day, she'll come into my room and lay by my feet as I work, laid on my bed one day with me, even lets me pet her with my hands (usually it's feet only).  She'll yell and yell at me until I pay attention to her.  Our relationship is still on her terms, but things are looking up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment