I am thankful for my health, a job, and the many blessings that I have been given. I am thankful that we have a God who listens, cares, and answers prayers. Sometimes the answer isn't always what we want to hear, or simply a "not yet." I'm still not sure what the answer to my prayers will be, but I am nevertheless thankful.
The reason I am so thankful: Papa was released from the hospital on Friday. He made it to my aunt's house sometime Friday afternoon and they got him settled there. A hospital bed has been rented, oxygen tanks are in supply, and rails have been installed around the toilet. Still, Papa is home and slowly, slowly getting better. Friday didn't see much improvement, as he was still unable to walk unassisted and eat very much. Saturday, though, things began to change. My dad and I travelled down on Saturday morning with my grandma in tow, taking her back down after her quick trip home to get a few things taken care of. Anyway, we arrived at my aunt's house around 11am. Papa was sleepy, but awake and talking. We got him to eat a cup of tapioca pudding...small steps! I sat next to him on his bed, held his hand, and visited with him for awhile. After not too long, he fell asleep, still holding on to my hand. Unsure of how long he would sleep, I felt obligated to sit there, especially since he was gripping my hand. My cousin and I chatted with the US v. Ghana World Cup game on in the background. As it neared lunch time, I finally slipped my hand out of his in order to go get lunch going for everyone. As we were eating a quick lunch of sandwiches, a nurse came to evaluate Papa for home care assistance. Awhile later, the nurse left, and we were able to get Papa to eat a half of a sandwich and a small rootbeer float. Of course, the rootbeer float was a bit of bribe to get him to eat the sandwich. But, hey, it worked! I think that this was the most he has eaten in a couple of weeks. Since he has eaten so little, his body is quite weak.
I should mention that before he left the hospital, the neurologist prescribed and started him on an anti-seizure medication. All of the misfirings that were taking place in his brain were essentially tiny seizures. It seems that over the course of the weekend Papa has continued to gain strength. Saturday my dad and aunt had to help him to the toilet, as well as help him take a shower. As of yesterday or today, Papa is now able to get out of bed on his own, as well as make it to the bathroom. What a vast improvement over a couple of days ago!
Even more encouraging news is that Papa has an appointment for next Monday to see the neurologist/hydrocephalus specialist at UCLA. We thought it would be at least 2 weeks before he was able to get in there!
Like I said before, we still don't know what exactly the answer to our prayer is just yet. Whatever it may be, though, the improvements we are seeing are encouraging and I am so thankful!
Please continue to pray for a continued recovery, as well as wisdom for the doctors to find the problems and solutions needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment