Friday, March 25, 2011

the last while.

Life has been keeping me going in nine directions for the last while, so it's been difficult to give much of an update.  I mean, I still haven't finished updating you about my trip to Slovenia almost 2 months later.  I'll get right on that, I promise.

Despite not having updated for awhile, not a whole lot has changed.  I'm working more, which is great, but it also contributes to me being much busier.  Wouldn't it be great to get paid to do nothing sometimes?  I think I did that today.  Well, practically.  I got a call around 8:30 this morning to sub in the afternoon.  I decided 2 hours for $47.50 wasn't too bad, so I said yes.  Even if it was junior high.  When I arrived at 1:20, I found out that they were "Intervention" schedule, which meant that I had a 20 minute class where the students were supposed to read and write in their reading logs.  This sounded great in theory, except the ladies in the office gave me the wrong attendance sheet, so we spent about 10 of the 20 minutes figuring that all out.  Lovely.  I think the kids loved it though.  The next period was U.S. History (one of my personal favorite subjects).  Bonus: the Intervention schedule also meant that all of the class periods were shorter, so 7th period really seemed to fly by.  Last period of the day was called something like Sports Involvement and basically consisted of me taking 9 kids outside to either play basketball, work on their homework, or walk around the field.  Whew, tough day's work.

Last Saturday night was my mom's 35th high school reunion.  While she and my dad reunited with her classmates, I was home doing nothing.  Around 9:00 or so, I heard this loud weird noise, kind of like a really loud clicking sound.  I knew the only other living beings here were the dogs and cats, so I first thought it was one of them playing with something, throwing up, choking, etc.  You name it, it probably ran through my mind.  I cautiously went downstairs to investigate, only to find the lights on the refrigerator quickly flashing and the ice dispenser opening and closing (hence the noise).  I pushed all the buttons I could find, held them, tapped them, tried to find anything that would make it stop.  Nothing worked so I just went back upstairs and ignored the noise, which stopped a little while later.  Just before the parents got home, it started up again.  It was convenient, really, since it kept me from looking like I was crazy.  Dad pushed and poked at buttons just like me (nope, it still didn't work) and then decided to pull it out and unplug it to reset the thing.  Long story a little bit shorter, he plugged it back and nothing had changed.  Turns out the circuit board went out, which also eventually caused the refrigerator portion to stop cooling, but the freezer still worked.  Lovely.  The new refrigerator arrived yesterday afternoon.  It's so clean and pretty, my mom doesn't even want to load anything in to it :)  My dad did end up ordering the part to fiz the other fridge, which we can hopefully then sell.  Any takers?

Ok, I'm going to call it a night.  Even though it's Saturday, I still have to get up by 7:30 to go to a breakfast thing at church at 8:30.  My mom told me I didn't have to go until a bit later, but I decided that 8:30 sounded late as compared to the days I have to be at work at 7:20.  Amazing how "early" is relative! 

No comments:

Post a Comment