Wednesday, June 29, 2011

what a week (part one).

When I last left you, all I had to say was the same old thing.  Well, let me tell you, when it rains, it pours.  Last week was insanely busy.  So busy I didn't even work.  (There are definite pros and cons to having a flexible work schedule.)  Anyway, here's just a taste...

Saturday began with the family trekking across town with three of our vehicles to get the tires rotated and brakes checked.  Mine was done first, so I left for a VBS meeting at church.  After I got all of my many supplies and announcements, it was time to decorate the classroom.  This was also the time I first met both of my classroom helpers.  (Well, I had met one of them at the previous meeting.)  They were both very sweet ladies, but one of them had knee replacement surgery and has very little energy.  Needless to say, when it came to climbing on chairs and tables to decorate, she wasn't much help.  But my family arrived just in time to help.  Without them, I would have been there all day doing it alone.  After a little Chick-fil-A lunch break, we were finished by 1:30.  After that, we went furniture shopping for Lindsay.  She just moved to a new apartment and is in the market for a new sofa, dresser, table and chairs, and entertainment unit with plenty of room for DVD storage.  We basically spent the rest of the afternoon looking at different furniture stores.  She found some stuff she liked, but nothing was purchased that day. We then went and picked up my grandma and took her to dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, Sinaloa.  Yum! 

Sunday was Father's Day, which meant Nascar races for some people.  (Not me.)  Speaking of Nascar, for Father's Day we gave my dad the Nascar Driving Experience, which means he gets to take a class and then actually drive a car.  We actually really surprised him and I think he is excited about it.  It's not until October, though.  After that, my mom and I went to church and then put up a few more decorations in my VBS classroom (we needed to wait until Sunday school was done).  We went back home, had lunch, and just hung out the rest of the day.  I don't remember doing much else, other than spending some time remembering the fathers (my grandfathers) that are no longer here to celebrate with us.  I'll be honest, it was a little weird to have just my dad there. 

Monday came bright and early - first day of VBS!  I don't remember if I actually said it before, but I was the lead teacher for a 3rd grade class.  Which actually means they just finished 3rd grade and should really be considered 4th graders now.  My list of kids started with 12 on Saturday and had grown to 20 by the end of the week.  Most of them were great.  There's always one or two that exasperate you/wear you out.  I think I had four.  They weren't bad kids, of course, a couple of them were just socially awkward and really hard to interact with.  A couple of them obviously had some other issues.  Also, one of my helpers wasn't able to be there on Monday.  The one that was there was, again, very nice, but not able to do much as far as helping goes.  I learned after that day to not ask her to do things.  She either assisted the other helper or sat back.  I really didn't care, but I felt obligated to give her things to do that first day.  Anyhow, it was a good morning.  I was really tired, too!  All I wanted was to go home and rest for awhile.  Well, I got to rest that afternoon, but it wasn't very relaxing.  My parents and I left around 2:00 for Ventura.  My dad had a cyst that has been on his back for years.  In recent days, though, it had grown into a huge lump on his back (think Quasimodo...haha, just kidding).  It was noticeable through his shirt though.  What was more troublesome than that, though, was the fact that it was oozing and seemed to be infected.  So, like I said, we took him down to see a surgeon.  We went there because my uncle, who is a doctor, recommended him, and that was faster than trying to get in to see someone locally.  His appointment was at 4:00, and by 4:20 the doctor came out and told my mom and I that he was going to go ahead and remove it, probably about 20 minutes or so.  Forty minutes later, he came out and got my mom so he could show her the crater on my dad's back.  You see, she had been nominated as nurse and official gauze back packer, and he needed to show her what to do.  Meanwhile, I was left in the waiting room, eavesdropping unintentionally on the receptionist who obviously didn't have enough work to do.  She made numerous phone calls to family members and then the city planning office about some work that was being done on her house.  Good stuff right there.  I even memorized her cell phone number for a short time after she gave it out to someone she was talking to.  I should have saved it and called her to get updates on her house.  While the surgery was happening, by the way, my sister had been contacted and she decided to leave work and drive up to check on dad.  It was slightly concerning given the placement of the cyst and the fact that this same doctor a year ago wanted to do the surgery in a surgery center in case of complications and the fact they were dealing with the spine and all that.  I think the only thing that sped up the process was the fact it was infected.  Lindsay ended up just meeting us in Camarillo for a quick dinner.  We then made a couple of returns/exchanges at the outlet mall and then headed home.  We got home around 9, I think, but I still had some preparations to do for VBS on Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment