Wednesday, November 30, 2011

awards day.

[Disclaimer: This story is not for the weak-stomached.]

About three weeks ago (yes, that's how behind I feel) was the First Quarter Awards Assembly at school.  It started at 9:30 for Intermediate grades and lasted more than an hour (also known as a really long time to keep a class of kids quiet).  They started with some general awards, then moved on to 4th, 5th, then 6th grade.

So we'd been sitting on uncomfortable benches in the cafeteria for awhile before it was finally our turn.  In the midst of the transition from the last class to mine walking up, one of the girls in my class says to me, "Miss Friesen, Alex just threw up on my face."  I can't even explain the thoughts that ran through my head.  My response to her: "What?"  She says again, "Alex threw up on my face."  (Please keep in mind that we are literally walking up to the front as this conversation is happening.)  All I can think to say is "Are you ok?"  She says yes and move into our places on the stage. 

And then suddenly it hit me.  Where was Alex?  I look over and see him, back to the audience, not-so-dry heaving, on the verge of losing it.  All I said to him was, "Go," and he was out practically running out the door.  I calmly carried on, calling names and giving out the awards.  It wasn't until we were sitting back down that the hilarity of the situation really hit me.  Every time I replay the scene in my mind, I just start cracking up.  Even three weeks later, it doesn't get old.  Seriously, the only way I could think that Alex vomited on her face was by throwing up in his mouth and some of it came out because there was nothing on the floor or anywhere else.  By the way, the girl had wiped it off on her sweatshirt, so I didn't see anything.  Thank the Lord because Miss Friesen would have thrown up too.

Of course, after we had sat down, Alex's mom came up to me asking where he was (I had had to say he wasn't there).  I told her I sent him to the office because he had been throwing up.  Her response was "Oh no!  Him too?"  Apparently her younger son had also been throwing up during his assembly.  Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment