Thursday, May 31, 2012

the end.

Today was the last day of school for the students.  So crazy!  We pretty much spent the whole week doing nothing, which makes for a long 3-day week.  (I'm not complaining...)  Anyhow, I knew that I didn't want to be stuck cleaning out my room all this week, so I've been taking a small to medium sized load home each night for the last 2 weeks.  Yesterday I had the biggest load, taking home everything I could easily take home that I knew I wouldn't need the last day.  Even though it was a bit of a pain each day, I'm so glad I did.  Come this afternoon, I had all of my belongings out of the room and the room all ready to leave not long after school released today. 

Reality that this was the last day hasn't fully set in, although I felt the tears welling up a bit as I left school this afternoon.  The rest of the staff was gathering to meet the new principal and I was heading to my car.  It might have been one of the single hardest moments to keep my head up and not be obviously upset.

I was happy to spend a fun week with my students, though.  They kept themselves pulled together for the most part and I didn't have to get too mad at them.  (Well, there was a moment on Wednesday when I almost pulled out some work for them to do...)  Tuesday morning we had our awards assembly, which may have been the longest assembly in the history of assemblies.  Ok, maybe not, but it took nearly two hours, which is an extremely long time when you need to use the restroom (Recess is at 10:10, but the assembly wasn't out until about 11:15).  And it wasn't exactly stimulating either.  I then had to wait even longer because I had to do yard duty.  We were in class for just a short time when it was time to have our class party.  My wonderful mother brought the class Subway sandwiches and we watched Cars.  The kids gorged themselves on junk, but were really quite well behaved.  (It's amazing to think back to the beginning of the year and to see how much they have grown!) 

Wednesday was basically one big retirement celebration for the principal.  Definitely not my favorite day ever, but more bearable than I thought it might be.  When we weren't at planned activities, we were watching Cars 2.  And, like I mentioned before, today was a whole lot of nothing.  We had a raffle with all kinds of prizes, most of which were food.  I didn't let them eat it before recess, but let's just pretend they didn't eat it all today.  Because I pretty sure most of it was consumed.  The day felt anticlimactic, as I said a quick goodbye to them, handed them their report cards, and ushered them out the door. 

Tomorrow is officially my last day when I check out and head to our staff breakfast.  I'm sure reality will set in tomorrow morning when I arrive to an empty room and I have to hand in my keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment