Thursday, November 22, 2012

give thanks.

So quickly we live our lives.  Always rushing from one thing to the next.  Always trying to squeeze in one more thing to our schedule.  It's work, family, friends, errands, obligations, and a little fun in there, too.  We fill our lives with movement.

And then there are days like today, ones where we stop and reflect on how thankful we are for our lives.  Our family.  Our friends.  Our faith. 

Oh, those are good things.  I'm saying nothing against that.  I'm thankful for them, too.

But I'm also guilty of simply saying the words "Thank You" without really meaning them.  I say those words so quickly that they've lost a little bit of their meaning.

That's not to say I'm not thankful.  But those words can easily become more of a habit, a knee-jerk reaction, than an actual feeling of gratitude.  Basically, we have good manners.  We like to make people feel good.  But do we really mean the gratitude?

Think on it.  Reflect on your own life.  How quickly do the words "Thank you" come from your lips?

The cashier at Target took forever and complained the whole way through the transaction.  "Oh, I'm so tired.  I'm so glad I only have two more hours of work."  (Side note: Major pet peeve of mine!  I can't stand when someone complains about the fact that they have to work to me, the customer.  It's just weird.  It's not like I don't have to work too, people.  That's how I'm able to buy these things I'm buying so you can have a job, too.  That's the way it works.  It makes me feel uncomfortable and wishing I had picked the longer, slower moving line, if I hadn't already.  End small rant.)  But at the end of the checking out process, they tack on those words: "Thank you."  They don't mean it.  And sometimes I don't either.

Not really.  Not truly.

I don't want my words to mean nothing, my thanks to be merely words.  I want to have an attitude of thankfulness at all times.

And so this is the way I will begin.  It's a major trend among blogs and social media, but it's a good idea, really.  Thankful Thursdays.  One post on the blog each week highlighting an attitude of thankfulness.  Our lives should be filled with thankfulness, so one a week should be easy.  (Ah, always easier said written than done.)

What am I thankful for today?  For my family.  I have to start there.  They are the ones that love me unconditionally.  I can always count on them to be there, to help me out.  They push me to do things I don't always want to do.  But they understand me, too.  Sure we get can fight, but we always make up.  And I love them dearly.

What are you thankful for this week?

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment