Tuesday, November 13, 2012

stealing joy.

{Source}

You've probably seen/heard this quote a lot.  It's become somewhat of a cliche.  But have you ever really thought about it? 

One day last week it occurred to me that I was falling into the trap of comparing my life to that of other people.  Let me tell you it's a trap.  We fall into it so easily you might not even notice.  If only I had (fill in the blank), then I'd be happy.  If only I had (fill in the blank), then I'd be satisfied...then I would be content. 

Whether you do so consciously or not, you are probably looking at the lives of others and expecting the same for you. I know I do it.  I see friends accomplishing all kinds of things and then I look at my own life.  It just doesn't seem to compare sometimes. 

But I think the thing that sneaks up on me even more silently is when I compare my life to what I think my life should be like, the way I had imagined my life going.  I wasn't ever one to dwell on the future, as in I'm going to be married by this age, have kids by this age, etc.  But I'd be lying if I said that I had never thought about it.  And in that life I had planned I would have found a job right out of college, my dream teaching job.  I would probably be married.  I would own a house and a couple of dogs. 

I had these certain ideas about what life was "supposed" to look like at this point. 

One swift look at my life will see that none of those things are true.  (Well, I guess technically the dogs, but let's please not consider that my highest accomplishment...)

And I'm so tempted to look at that picture of my life and to compare it to reality.  I'm not really sure why none of those things has happened so far.  That's not really what this is about.  My point is that we are literally stealing the joy out of our lives when we compare them.  Whether it's to someone else's life or the life we had dreamed for ourselves, comparing is one sure way to dwell on what "isn't".  It isn't right, it isn't good, it isn't fair. 

Wouldn't life be boring if we got everything we wanted right when we wanted it?  There would be nothing to be excited about, nothing to hope for.  I know I'd be a far different person if it hadn't been for some of the bumps in the road.  That's when we grow.  That's how we mature. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.  But I'm also not going to dwell on what "isn't" and to focus on the many, many blessings that I have been given instead.


I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing."
 
I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart
instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me. Because he
is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad
and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because
you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
 
Psalm 16:2, 7-11


1 comment:

  1. Love this post Whitney! I have actually never heard this quote. I too am always falling into the trap - I think we all do at some point in our life.

    ReplyDelete