Why Compassion? One thing that I think Compassion does very right is that they focus on the individual child and family. The Compassion centers that open are run by local churches already in the community. Compassion has guidelines that must be followed and children are enrolled based on need. Once a child is enrolled in the program, they immediately begin receiving the benefits of that Compassion center, whether or not they have a sponsor. Each center differs to some extent, but the children receive food and clean water, medical care, education, life skills training, classes for parents, and, most importantly, learn about Jesus.
Because Compassion is focused on bettering the lives of individuals, the relationship between the child and sponsor is key. Writing to them and encouraging them lets these children know that they are valuable and loved. I have heard many stories about people's sponsored children who have gone on to do great things: becoming doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc., all because they were given an opportunity to rise above the cycle of poverty. Their life and their families' lives have all been changed because of the opportunities that Compassion provides them. I think that that is an awesome thing to be a part of!
Recently I sponsored three more sweet girls from various parts of the world. It was something I did out of faith and I definitely don't regret it. I trust that the money will be available each month to sponsor these and the rest of my kids. Let me introduce you to them:
This is Cherry, who is 5 years old, and lives in the Philippines. She lives with both her mother and father, as well as 3 siblings. The average income in her community is the equivalent of $60 per month. For fun she likes to play with dolls, group games, house, singing, and listening to music.
This is Judith, who is 11 years old, and lives in Burkina Faso. Burkina Faso is one of the poorest nations in the world and they are facing a famine/food shortage there. She lives with her mother and father with 4 children in the household. The average income in her community is the equivalent of $40 each month. For fun, she enjoys bicycling and hide-and seek. I just love the grin on her face...it almost looks like she is holding in laughter.
Finally, this is Deborah, or Obuom, who is 6 and lives in Ghana. She lives with her grandmother with 6 children in the household. The average monthly income in her community is the equivalent of $15. For fun, she enjoys playing with dolls and group games.
If you are still reading this, which I hope you are, I ask that you do one of three things right now:
1. Pray for the children living in extreme poverty throughout the world that are waiting for their sponsors.
2. Pray about contributing to these children using the "Chip In" button on my blog or through this link. (The money is given through PayPal and will be used directly for these children.)
3. Pray about sponsoring your own child through Compassion. The cost is $38 each month. You can browse through the children waiting right now. You just might find one that tugs at your heart like these three did to me.
'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' (Matthew 25:40)



No comments:
Post a Comment