Wow, 5 days into 2011 (I still think that looks weird). This new year has already brought with it many changes. To be fair, they really happened at the end of 2010, but the aftermath remains for 2011.
The first thing that happened, as you know already if you've been reading, is that Papa passed away the morning after Christmas. The last week of the year was emotional, with much time spent planning his memorial service, as well as a few family issues to deal with. I was initally sad, but it didn't really seem real. As long as I stayed busy, I was fine. And then it all came crashing down on me and reality really set in. Thursday (Dec 30) was the family graveside service (which happened to be on one of the most frigid days ever, complete with an icy wind!) and the next day was the memorial service. Both were nice tributes to his life and a testament to him as a well-loved man. The overwhelming theme of the memorial service was the one thing everyone knew about Papa...he loved to talk! He could talk to a stranger about nothing for a really long time, coming back to us with practically their whole life story. I would often wonder if he could get that much information out of someone he didn't know, what exactly was he telling them about us. Sometimes it was embarrassing, often we didn't care, but oh, how I wish to hear his stories again. We always said we would write down his stories about his growing up years, but we never got around to it, always thinking we had more time.
About a minute before the graveside service began, I looked at my phone to see what time it was, and saw a text from my dear friend telling me she was engaged. To say I was distracted at the beginning of the service is an understatement. I'm so thrilled for them and also thrilled to be asked to be in the wedding (my first time as a bridesmaid)! This event is bringing many changes to this year...
And, of course, let's not forget my trip to Slovenia. I leave two weeks from tomorrow. It seems like so long ago that we began to plan. Back then it all seemed so hypothetical and far off. Not anymore! In truth, the reality of leaving is just beginning to set in for me. I still have much to accomplish, at least it feels that way, and I don't even want to think about packing (which I always dislike).
The last big change this year is hopefully this: finishing my master's in May and getting a real teaching job for next year. It's crazy for me to think about...
This year holds so much in store for me. It is, indeed, a new year.
No comments:
Post a Comment