Wednesday was one for the record books. And I'm not just talking about Bakersfield setting a new high temperature for the day (110...in the shade, of course). Wednesday was an important day for two other reasons: I started my first day of going back to school and Papa came home for the first time since he left at the beginning of June!
I got on the road to Biola right at 11 and I made it down there right around 1. Class didn't start until 4:30, so I had a little time to kill. I tried to hang out with a couple different friends, but it didn't work out this week, so hopefully in the coming weeks we will make that happen. Anyway, I decided to "tour" the area, visiting some of the places and stores I had frequented not-so-long ago. In case you're wondering, some things were different. Most notably was the Panera put in right by my old apartment. That would have been lovely. And, of course, my favorite stop was at Berry Cool (awesome frozen yogurt). I journeyed back to campus around 3:45, got a parking permit and my ID card, and had just a few minutes to waste until it was time to go to class. Class was good, my professor is great, and I was thrilled to see some familiar faces. We got out at 7, about 15 minutes early, and I got on the road. I think I set a new record, at least my personal best: I made it through LA in record time, literally tapping my brakes once between La Mirada and Santa Clarita. I'm praying this traffic was not a fluke and it will be similar each week.
As I mentioned, Papa made his first trip home to Bakersfield since leaving at the beginning of June. He and Gramma were looking forward to a few days of doing their own thing, running a few errands, and just being home. After arriving home with my aunt, they dropped off their bags, turned down the a/c, and went to grab some dinner, giving the house a chance to cool off. When they got home, my aunt left and they decided they should run to the grocery store to get a few items for the long weekend home. When they returned home after that, they discovered the house was hot and the a/c was no longer working. Please bear in mind that Wednesday was the hottest day of the year, at least here in Bakersfield. Anyway, my grandma calls my dad, he goes over to check to see if he can replace the fuses, hoping that would be the fix, even if only temporary. After an unsuccessful attempt, Gramma and Papa loaded their bags into my dad's car and headed over to our house for the night. It really wouldn't have seemed so bad, except for them wanting to be home so badly. At least they were in Bakersfield, right? ;) Our neighbor across the street, Matthew, who was our saving grace a few weeks back when our own a/c went out, went out to their house Thursday morning, fixing it temporarily, and then went back on Saturday morning to fix what needed to be fixed. It was good to see them, though, so at least it provided us that opportunity. (By the way, Papa is doing much better. However, last week, or maybe two weeks ago now, a brain scan revealed a small blood clot, which, if not better on another scan that will take place tomorrow morning, will require surgery this week.)
I love LOVE love your new room! So comfy and inviting.
ReplyDelete