Wednesday, August 4, 2010

a weekend of changes.

Saturday was the big day...rearranging the furniture in my room, that is.  What started out sounding like merely a chore turned into a huge, all-day event.  Since Wednesday I had been taking stuff out of my room, moving the items to various locations around the house, mostly to my sister's room (thank goodness she's not here!), or stashing them into an ever-growing pile inside my closet.  Which, by the way, looks like I never even touched it back in June.  Oh well, round 2 will see better results, I'm sure.  Anyway, by Saturday morning, I pretty much had the clutter cleared out and was on to the things I used everyday.  When I had everything out I could move myself, I called in the troops, better known as my parents, and got things moving.  We took out the furniture that was being replaced and cleaned everything.  My dad hung the new blinds we've had sitting in the box for awhile now.  New curtains were hung, the cable I need for my TV was run around the perimeter of the room, and we were in business.  My bed and chair were set in place.  Now it was time for the real fun to begin!  We exchanged the tall dresser/shelving unit I had previously for the dresser I had in my apartment...it's been sitting in the garage waiting for this day to arrive.  I also decided to switch the desk I had in my room already for the desk that matched the dresser (also from the apartment).  By the time we had that in place, it was decided that the other long, old oak dresser I had in my room needed to leave.  My mom and I took a break, got cleaned up, and went furniture shopping.  My preference was for one of those lingerie chests...tall and not too wide.  We found the perfect one at World Market and got a really good deal on it, too! We brought it home for my dad and I to assemble later that evening.  We started on it just before dinner.  At 8:30, I still had pieces strewn about my room.  I was wondering if I was going to be able to sleep in there!  After my dad finished up some work he needed to get done, we started working again, this time moving fairly quickly through the second half of assembly.  We got everything screwed in (much more difficult than it sounds) and turned it over to put the back on.  It was then that we realized that my dad had put one of the pieces in backward earlier.  Which meant that the small cut-out groove the back was supposed to rest inside was not there.  Seeing no other way to resolve the issue, we then got to unscrew all of our hard work enough to pull that piece out and turn it around.  Then we screwed everything in...again.  We finally finished assembly a few minutes after 11.  Oh, and I should mention that earlier when assembling the drawers, one of the pieces was manufactured incorrectly, so we only could put 4 drawers together.  (I was thankfully able to get the piece I needed at World Market Sunday and all is right now!)  After a long, exhausting day, we were all worn out.  But my room looks good and I'm slowly getting things put away in their new homes.  I got a new bookcase on Sunday, as well, which was assembled last night.  I was going to post pictures of the transformation, but I currently cannot locate my camera cord.  It's been moved with the rest of my belongings, so I'll post the pictures as soon as things are more put together.  I still have to take all my pictures down off the wall and move them around to better suit the new arrangement.  I'm not holding my breath for that to get done too quickly.  Hopefully soon, though, and pictures will follow shortly thereafter.

P.S. Feel free to leave a comment or two.  I love to hear/see/know people are reading...

1 comment: