Sometimes life is just downright tiresome. We are always on the move, always trying to get something accomplished. It's nice to stay busy or have things to do, but often we overload ourselves to a point where we can no longer relax.
As I read through the Psalms, one word strikes me over and over. Refuge.
Think about what that word means. A refuge is a place of shelter, protection, or safety. A place of relief, escape.
"My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62:7-8
"I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:2
I imagine a man, in the throes of battle. He's been fighting as hard as he can, but soon realizes his enemies are about to overtake him. The man turns to the one safe place he knows: "Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress." (Psalm 71:3) He turns to the Lord, his place of safety and protection.
May we rest in the truth that God is our refuge from the battles of life. He will always be there, standing strong.
'God is our refuge and strength, and ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging...Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire. "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.' (Psalm 46:1-3, 8-11)
No comments:
Post a Comment