Monday, December 20, 2010

oh, what a difference a day makes.

Friday began as planned.  I ran a couple of errands in the morning, the most important one being taking my big paycheck to the bank.  I was just headed back home as my mom called, asking if I wanted to each lunch with her.  So, I turned the car around and headed to meet her at a sandwich place near her office.  Just as I was pulling into the parking lot, she called me again, saying that Papa was having chest pains, had been throwing up, and was home alone.  So, I picked her up and we headed over...only it was lunch time, which means lots of traffic.  I'll skip all the details, but by the time we got there, Gramma had arrived home, gotten him dressed, and we walked right back out the door with them.  Arrived at the hospital emergency room a few minutes later, Papa seemingly fine.  After a series of events, they determined that Papa was, indeed, having a heart attack and rushed him right in to the Cath Lab.  As it turns out, he had 100% blockage in the rear artery that they were able to open and place a stint.  He also has 75% blockage in another artery that they haven't addressed yet.  They moved him into ICU to monitor him, where he still is today.  They are concerned about his kidney function, heart function (which was already weak and weakened even more with the heart attack), worried that the blood thinner + aspirin they have him on will cause bleeding in the brain as it seemed to previously, and concerned about his oxygen intake.  At times he acts "normal", eating pretty well, talking to us all.  Other times he is disoriented and can barely stay awake when talking to us.  Even though he may appear "fine", he is seriously sick and could still go either way. Please pray...

No comments:

Post a Comment