Wednesday, April 20, 2011

the past week.

I was doing so well staying up to date.  And then I had a few crazy days.  So, here goes.

Wednesday dawned bright and early as I left the house at 7:00 and started my three-day sub job in a 2nd grade class.  When I got the call the week before, it said 7:20-11:00am for Wed, Thu, Fri.  It's a little odd that there were three half day jobs, but I figured maybe meetings or something.  Anyway, I get to the office and the lady there was filling out my paperwork and wrote down "full day."  So I asked her about it, she checked the sub system, and said I was write, but she thought the teacher was having surgery.  I went on to the classroom and noticed that there were plans there for the whole day.  I went back to the office at recess, not feeling very confident that someone else was coming to take over the class at 11:00.  So she calls the teacher and it turns out that she meant to put the job in as all day Wed, all day Thursday, and then until 11 on Friday.  Yeah, probably should have checked on that one.  Anyway, I was able to stay Wednesday for the whole day, but I already have an afternoon job on Thursday, so they had to call in another sub for the afternoon. 

Wednesday evening I was sitting at the dinner table and heard my phone ring upstairs.  I had left it since I already had jobs for the week and the next week was Spring Break.  Well, I learned my lesson.  I raced upstairs, but missed the call.  As it turns out, it was the call I was waiting for to tell me that I have an interview for a teaching job next year.  I am extremely excited to have been one of 10 people chosen out of 200ish applications.  There are three positions open, so I have a shot, but the odds are still against me.  Please, please keep praying!  Of course, I want the job, but more than that I want to be ok with the outcome if it is a no.  But, maybe just keep praying it's a yes :)

Thursday I was back in second grade in the morning.  It was a great class, by the way.  Lots of sweet kids and really no problems beyond talking.  After that, I ran by my mom's office and changed clothes (I was wearing a white shirt and khaki pants,,,and those don't mix well with preschool) and went to sub in pre-K for the afternoon, 12-5:30.  Funniest overheard conversation from that day:
Boy 1: On Friday I get to go to Sea World.
Boy 2: What's Sea World?
Boy 1: It's a whole world about seas and stuff.  You know, sea lions...
[It was fantastic...]

Friday was like a rerun of Thursday, with one little perk.  Friday was a 2 hour early out, which meant that lunch had to start early to get all the grades through.  Second grade's lunch started at 10:30, so as soon as the kids got through the lunch line, I got to leave.  Sweet!

That evening I was going to help a friend with a school project at 7, so my mom decided we should go to dinner.  We met at BJ's as soon as I was done with preschool.  By the time I arrived, she had already ordered for me.  My baked potato (yum!) arrived a few minutes later, only it wasn't right.  I was going to eat it, but the waitress came by and my mom told her.  She took it back and then came back to tell us that she put the order in right and doesn't know why the kitchen got it wrong.  While I'm waiting for my new food, my mom's burger came, also wrong.  She ordered a classic cheeseburget and got a bacon burger with no cheese.  Hmm, close.  The waitress came by again, still no potato, and tells us that a manager will be bringing my food out soon.  It had been expedited, but took about 15 minutes.  Anyway, the kitchen manager did finally bring the food and apologized to us, but told us that the waitress put the order in wrong.  After the drama with my food, my mom didn't want to say anything about her's, but did tell the manager about it.  He apologized again and offered to make her another one to take with her, but leftover burgers aren't very fantastic, so she said no.  He offered a pizookie, so we said yes to that.  The waitress again comes over to say she was sorry and that the manager had told her all about it.  She brings us the bill, telling us she took care of our drinks.  We look at it and she charged us for the on-the-house pizookie!  The restaurant manager comes over now and we tell him that now there is a problem with the bill.  He goes away, gets the whole story, and finally tells us that he took care of the whole bill.  It was so unbelievable at the time.  Well, still is, really.  We just couldn't believe it! 

Saturday was a nothing day.  I was extremely tired and felt like I was trying to fight off a cold. 

Sunday my aunt, uncle, and grandma came over for lunch.  And I did some homework.  It was a very exciting weekend.

Monday started Spring Break for elementary schools, but I still had my class to go to.  So off to Biola I went.  I got to visit with wonderful friends that afternoon before I went to class.  The sad part of the day was when I realized that I had four papers to write for that class instead of just one big one.  He hadn't made it very clear until then.  And then, as I sat in class, I started to feel like I had a fever, my body was aching, and my face was hurting (as in my sinuses).  On the up side, we got out of class 20 minutes early (that never happens!) so I stopped by Target and got some meds to manage the trip home. 

Tuesday I finally decided that I probably had a sinus infection and got a prescription to help.  I didn't get a ton done because I wasn't feeling fantastic.  I did finish my Bible study and then went last night.  It was our first real night of a new study, so I hated to miss. 

So far today I dropped my car off to get the oil changed and then went to lunch with my mom and a friend.  We ran to Target afterward, then I picked up my car and came home. 

I need to get to work now...

No comments:

Post a Comment